The Building Division provides:
- Building permit processing
- Plan checking
- Building inspections
- Building code compliance
Building Department Office and Inspection Hours
The City of Auburn Building Department has implemented COVID-19 prevention protocols, including modifications to our submittal processes to reduce the need to visit our office.
Building Permits, Planning and Public Works Inspection Services
The following describes the services that remain available along with a description of how to contact The City of Auburn for such services. We encourage the public to contact city staff by email for the quickest response.
Submittal of Building Permit Applications
Residential and Commercial basic permits (water heaters, reroofs, electrical, etc.) without (not requiring) plan review – applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online. Permits will be processed and issued in an expedited time frame if all paperwork has been provided.
Building Permit applications for other projects (SFD, New Structures, Additions, Remodels, Change in Use, etc.) requiring plan review, applicants are encouraged to apply online or in person.
Questions about the online application process can be answered by Amy Franklin or call 530-823-4211 x136.
Building Inspections are conducted on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays with no inspections being conducted on Wednesdays. To schedule an inspection please call 530-823-4211 x 136.
Building, Planning and Public Works Department Office Hours
Permit issuance – Monday through Friday 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm.
Building Official Office Hours- Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Friday. Applicants are strongly encouraged to email Curtis Ryan, Coastland Consultant Building Official/Inspector email@example.com or call 530-718-4701.
General Planning Inquiries: Planning staff is available every Wednesday (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.) and (1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.) No appointment necessary. Applicants are strongly encouraged to email Tonya or call 530-823-4211 x140. Planning Application Submittals: by appointment only Tuesday (8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.) and Friday (8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.).
Public Works Manager office hours- No appointment necessary. Monday through Friday 8am-9am and 4pm-5pm. Applicants are strongly encouraged to email Mengil or call 530-823-4211 x145. The Public Works Manager is also available by appointment only Wednesdays 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm.
City of Auburn Outdoor Business Application
1. Determine if the proposed outdoor business area is in the Public Way (City street, City sidewalk, City owned parking lot, or other City owned property) or if the outdoor area is on privately owned property.
2. If the outdoor area is in the Public Way, please fill out the “Outdoor Business Program Packet (Public Right of Way) 2021” and provide the referenced documents. An Encroachment Permit Application is required. See the document “Covid Structure Anchorage” for anchoring requirements.
3. If the outdoor area is in the Private Property, please fill out the “Outdoor Business Program Packet (private) 2021” and provide the referenced documents. See the document “Covid Structure Anchorage” for anchoring requirements.
4. The application and documents will be reviewed by City Staff. Please note: an application under the outdoor business guidelines is not automatically approved and City staff will contact the applicant if further documentation is required. Approvals will be returned in writing.
For questions regarding the Encroachment Permit requirements please contact James Taber.
- Accessibility Retrofit Worksheet
- Alternate Brace Wall Panels at Opening
- Building Permit Application
- Complaint Form
- Construction Waste Management Plan
- New Construction Application Form
- Owner Builder Form
- Plan Revision Form
- Pre-approved ADU information
- Residential Accessory Structure Information
- Residential Building Permit Information
- Residential Re-Roof Checklist
- Residential Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Residential Stairs-Handrails
- Residential Winder Stairs
- Single Family Construction Details
- Solar Permit Guidelines
- Special Inspection Agreement
- Typical Residential Deck Detail