Tell a Cop

What is "Tell a Cop"?

The Auburn Police Department is committed to keeping our community safe, which includes our neighborhoods, business districts, roads, and trails. Our city is fortunate to have such iconic Downtown and Old Town Business Districts that attract people from all over to visit in order to shop, play, and dine in our beautiful city. It is our goal to do our part to ensure those who live, work, and play in the City of Auburn are able to do so safely. In order to accomplish our goal we offer our community a method to report these concerns to the Auburn Police Department. Use our electronic forms to let us know what you are reporting or you can also call our non-emergency number for further assistance at (530) 823-4237. 

What to Report

Anything that presents a safety hazard to the public and occurs in the City of Auburn can be reported. The following items are examples of issues to report: 
  • Crime Tips
  • Narcotics/Drug Tips
  • Reckless Drivers
  • Excessive Speed
  • Unsafe U-turns
  • Failing to Stop at Stop Signs
  • Driving Under the Influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Unsafe Road Conditions
  • Unsafe Trail Conditions
  • Motorized vehicles causing a hazard
  • Vandalism
  • Code Enforcement violations
Please give the following information:
  • Date, time, and location
  • Brief synopsis of what occurred
  • License plate number, if applicable
  • Description of the involved parties and/or vehicles
What Happens after Making a Report

In cases where we have a license plate number, the registered owner of the vehicle will receive a letter from the Auburn Police Department containing an advisement of the circumstances that resulted in receiving the letter. In cases where the violation and/or issues are an on-going problem, the Neighborhood Policing Officer assigned to that area will make an effort to contact the reporting party and/or the violator to identify a solution. In some cases, especially speed violations, the Auburn Police Department will deploy the radar trailer and/or the department's traffic data collector in the area.

Please report only incidents that occur in the City of Auburn. Unincorporated areas outside the city limits are the jurisdiction of the California Highway Patrol (1-800-tellCHP) or the Placer County Sheriff's Office (1-530-889-7800). In the case of an emergency, call 911.